Sunday, March 15, 2009

Movement Science Podcast: On the Air!

ResearchBlogging.orgOk folks here we are - my first podcast. This episode explores the relationship between motor learning, motor control deficits, and low back pain. I hope you enjoy my rookie effort and will hang in there as I continue to improve this new feature of my blog. Please let me know if you are having difficulty dowloading the podcast and I will get the bugs worked out asap! I hope to be up on iTunes soon so this should add an additional level of functionality to the show.



Topics include:
  • Recent editorials in the BJSM on the role of lumbar stabilization in low back pain
  • Basic motor control theory and the process of motor recovery following an injury including a reduction in cognitive regulation, decrease in visual dependency, and improvements in sensorimotor adaptability
  • How pain influences motor behavior including local and affective influences on muscle activity
  • An overview of what we know and don't know regarding motor control interventions
  • How this information has influenced my approach in the management of low back pain

Articles cited:


Allison, G., & Morris, S. (2008). Transversus abdominis and core stability: has the pendulum swung? British Journal of Sports Medicine, 42 (11), 630-631 DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2008.048637

Hodges, P. (2007). Transversus abdominis: a different view of the elephant British Journal of Sports Medicine, 42 (12), 941-944 DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2008.051037

Cook, J. (2008). Jumping on bandwagons: taking the right clinical message from research British Journal of Sports Medicine, 42 (11), 563-563 DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2008.048629

Mulder T, Neinhuis B, & Pauwels J (1996). The Assessment of Motor Recovery: A New Look at an Old Problem J Electromyogr Kinisiol, 6 (2), 137-145

Hodges, P. (2003). Pain and motor control of the lumbopelvic region: effect and possible mechanisms Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 13 (4), 361-370 DOI: 10.1016/S1050-6411(03)00042-7

10 comments:

  1. nice job Rod. Concise and complete.

    Not hearing the "Texas" anywhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done. I'm sure that took a lot of time!
    Some advice... don't apologize. You did a great job.

    Selena Horner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bas thank you very much. The "Texas" is definitely in there somewhere. My accent comes out a bit more in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selena. I really appreciate the kind words and great advice. It took more time than I had originally planned, but I'm excited about getting it online. Hopefully the next one won't feel like passing a volleyball...sorry for the visual.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just finished listening. first off, I wanted to say well done. I love the fact that you are supporting your ideas with research. I found this podcast educational and easy to listen to. I'm a Dr. of Chiropractic with a masters in sports science and rehabilitation - I tend to lean heavily on rehabilitation in my practice and work with local athletes on strength and conditioning. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

    Dr. Tye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very useful resource. No Texas detected at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After listening to it a second time I did catch a little more "texas" and am more in awe at how well put together the information was, especially for a rookie. I look forward to future podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Job Rod. Very informative and the blogs are entertaining as well..Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great podcast Rod. Are you on iTunes yet? I'd like to be able to put this on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete